Overview

An eating disorder is a compulsion to eat, or avoid eating, that negatively affects both one's physical and mental health. Eating disorders are all encompassing. They affect every part of the person's life. According to the authors of Surviving an Eating Disorder, "feelings about work, school, relationships, day-to-day activities and one's experience of emotional well being are determined by what has or has not been eaten or by a number on a scale." Anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa are the most common eating disorders generally recognized by medical classification schemes, with a significant diagnostic overlap between the two. Together, they affect an estimated 5-7% of females in the United States during their lifetimes. There is a third type of eating disorder currently being investigated and defined - Binge Eating Disorder. This is a chronic condition that occurs when an individual consumes huge amounts of food during a brief period of time and feels totally out of control and unable to stop their eating. It can lead to serious health conditions such as morbid obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Five Ways to Feel Skinny

I am reading a book about helping children recover from eating disorders and as I read I notice they have almost a whole chapter on "feeling fat". Isn't it interesting that fat isn't a feeling. I mean technically it is NOT an emotion. So why would you feel fat?

*note this is clearly not an article for my anorexic audience

It is hard to explain, but I know exactly what the author is talking about. And I also know that it doesn't matter what your body is accurately like at that time. So what do you do to feel Fat or feel Skinny? Well, feelings are emotions and those are received and interpreted in your brain.

I usually feel fat if I think I am fat, unworthy, the underdog, losing or a series of negative things. So to feel skinny perhaps I just need to think of positive things? Yes, I believe this is true.

Try these five things to feel skinny:

- Wear a piece of clothing that is too big, look in the mirror and say darn I am skinny!
- Write down five things you love about yourself. Once you feel good say darn I am skinny!
- Plan a meal you really want to eat. After savoring every bite. Say that was good and darn I am skinny!
- While brushing your teeth (hopefully twice a day) look yourself in the eye (in the mirror) and say, darn I am skinny.
- Just choose to feel good, feel good and do good, darn I am skinny

My secret number six just in case all of the above fail, and your internal unhappy meter is still arguing. Get a spray tan. I recommend a Mystic Tan. It takes under a minute and you will look like a different person a few hours later. I always feel like a new girl in a spray tan. You just can't stay grumpy when you have that glow.

Finally Free



Autor: Bridget Loves Bridget Loves
Level: Basic
Bridget Loves is Fed Up Girl, an Body Image and Un-Diet Coach and Speaker. She resides in Los Angeles, California where she helps many women ... ...

Bridget Loves
Body Image and Un-Diet Coach
Santa Monica, CA
http://www.fedupgirl.com


Added: June 4, 2009
Source: http://ezinearticles.com/

No comments: