Overview

An eating disorder is a compulsion to eat, or avoid eating, that negatively affects both one's physical and mental health. Eating disorders are all encompassing. They affect every part of the person's life. According to the authors of Surviving an Eating Disorder, "feelings about work, school, relationships, day-to-day activities and one's experience of emotional well being are determined by what has or has not been eaten or by a number on a scale." Anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa are the most common eating disorders generally recognized by medical classification schemes, with a significant diagnostic overlap between the two. Together, they affect an estimated 5-7% of females in the United States during their lifetimes. There is a third type of eating disorder currently being investigated and defined - Binge Eating Disorder. This is a chronic condition that occurs when an individual consumes huge amounts of food during a brief period of time and feels totally out of control and unable to stop their eating. It can lead to serious health conditions such as morbid obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Anorexia - My Story

I was a wife and mother in 1994 and at the age of 27 I never thought I had an eating disorder. Eating disorders were for the youngsters - and not someone who is older than twenty. But I had did.

I to my family doctor for panic attacks for a long time, and he prescribed me Xanax. Every time I had gone to him, I would have to weigh them. I started, the 130 was good with me, because I am 5 '5 1 /2 ".

By the time I reached 100lbs and addicted to Xanax, I was taken to a hospital. I have a few little errors and mistakes that saved my life. My doctor asked me a question. One question that I thought I had the right answer to, or thought that everyone felt like me. He asked me if I wanted to die, and of course I said "Yes". Before I knew it I was 302 in the hospital. (302 means that anyone can commit you in a hospital, if they think you are a harm to themselves or others) .

Before I knew it I was in a mental hospital and in the eating disorder. They were legends to me that I had an eating disorder, and, of course, I was denying it all the time. Doctors and nurses in question were questions which my blood, and I just wanted to go home to my little girl, much as they needed me.

As I thought that my daughter needs me, they do not need a mother who was addicted to Xanax and who is Anorexic. I owed it to her and my husband to get better and to out.

The first morning and every morning after the other, which we had to Weighed in our clothes. We would you weighed backwards, so we do not see the scale upwards. I remember the doctors saying to me that they wanted me to 115lbs to them for releasing me. I also remember thinking "yeah right"

Then If we go and have breakfast. There were men, women (even older than me), and adolescents. Some were there for anorexia, bulimia and Compulsive eating.

Now look that I return to the breakfast table was not a pretty sight. The Anorexics and bulimics which did not want to eat, but the compulsive eaters ate very quickly, as they could not get enough. After breakfast, we had to wait an hour after we ate, to ensure that our food is digested and we were not in the bathroom for fear of vomiting us. So we would sit and talk. Then we were assigned therapy for eight hours. It was art therapy, music therapy, relaxation therapy, psycodrama, group therapy, family therapy, and one on one therapy, and in this time, we had to eat lunch and dinner. I will tell you what you really know, even if you have all this therapy for 5 days straight. On weekends we were allowed visitors, and there was no therapy. It was time for us. Some of us would sleep, write and magazines, to play, arts and crafts, or just to talk. It is amazing how we all have in the clinic. Any person, the story was different in every respect. He did nothing, if we Anorexic, Bulimic Compulsive eating or were there for the same reason, we had only from their own coping strategies mechinism.

I spent the entire summer of 1994 in a hospital in that time I have learned more about myself and the disease, which I . Yes, one disease. Just like alcoholism or diabetes.

When I left that day I thought I would never get back, but I was wrong.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Christine_Coyle

No comments: