Overview

An eating disorder is a compulsion to eat, or avoid eating, that negatively affects both one's physical and mental health. Eating disorders are all encompassing. They affect every part of the person's life. According to the authors of Surviving an Eating Disorder, "feelings about work, school, relationships, day-to-day activities and one's experience of emotional well being are determined by what has or has not been eaten or by a number on a scale." Anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa are the most common eating disorders generally recognized by medical classification schemes, with a significant diagnostic overlap between the two. Together, they affect an estimated 5-7% of females in the United States during their lifetimes. There is a third type of eating disorder currently being investigated and defined - Binge Eating Disorder. This is a chronic condition that occurs when an individual consumes huge amounts of food during a brief period of time and feels totally out of control and unable to stop their eating. It can lead to serious health conditions such as morbid obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Food Addict Pumping Iron - Weight Training is For Women Too!

Are you afraid you are going to end up looking like a body builder if you pick up a five pound weight? I'm not making fun of you, I know the feeling! Women have become more aware of the benefits of weight training, but not as much as men, even though we need it just as much.

I've been very skeptical about the whole 'pumping iron for women' thing. To tell you the truth, I was a little scared too. It hurts! Seriously, in this case the "no pain, no gain" applies.

A few months ago I met this lady who really inspired me with her writing and great sense of humor. Turns out she motivates others to get fit, and she lifts weights (gasp). She recommends this book Body for Life by Bill Phillips

and I set out to add it to my list of books to borrow from the library. I didn't pay much attention to the book until my husband picked it up and started flipping through it. You couldn't blame him, there was a good looking guy on the cover and his wife was about to read it. He was getting more interested and pointed out pictures of very muscular men and women to me. My thoughts: O great, a body building book!

My husband has always been a fan of body building and have made great strides in this area as a young man, but I couldn't care less. That was, until I started reading the book. This guy had so many good things to say, so many things I should actually know.

What it boils down to for me: Women need to build muscle too!

Of course we do. If I think about it, it makes perfect sense. We are the ones doing most of the chores around the house, carrying loads of laundry up and down the stairs, weeding the garden, moving the couches to vacuum, the list goes on. We are also the ones who need to carry extra weight 24/7 for nine months long, push out that baby and then we get to carry the sweetie around for another, oh say, 5 years! How is it that we bought into this myth that women should not train with weights and build muscle? I don't think many of us will ever put in the amount of time it takes to become world champions in body building (maybe). Most of us will probably just end up with a well toned, strong body. Who doesn't want that?

So I set out to become a strong woman, yes in spirit and soul, but this time also in body. I hit the gym, armed with notes form my book. I've actually done weight training for many years, the kind where you never go to far from the ten pound mark and never feel any pain afterward. So here I was, willing to tear into those muscles, scary thought indeed. But according to my latest reading (of course I got a second opinion on the internet) muscles are much leaner and prettier than fat. Also, muscle building speeds up that metabolism to start burning fat. All of this was going through my mind when I load up those weight to, dare I say it, fifty pounds! I was ready to kick-start this sluggish metabolism. I was done with weight loss plateaus. This was it!

My pose of treadmill walkers looked at me funny. The men with the big arms looked at me with suspicion, but the few strong ladies around gave me "the nod". You know which one I'm talking about, the one that says: "You go girl!"

Weight training will help you so much in your fight to loose some excess weight. However, if you don't couple this with healthy eating, cardio exercise, and spiritual and relational wellness, you can not get out of a serious struggle with food such as Food Addiction.

If you need more help and guidance and want to know How to Stop Binge Eating please visit my website. I have a story to tell you that goes way beyond exercise. I found healing for my body, mind and spirit. Please come have a look and see if my 12 Week Online Course is something that might benefit you.



Autor: Heleen Woest Heleen Woest
Level: Basic PLUS
Heleen Woest wrote a program for women who struggle with food related issues such as Bulimia, Overeating and Binge eating disorder. She has a heart ... ...

http://www.eatingsdisorders.com/food-addiction.php


Added: June 1, 2009
Source: http://ezinearticles.com/

No comments: