Overview

An eating disorder is a compulsion to eat, or avoid eating, that negatively affects both one's physical and mental health. Eating disorders are all encompassing. They affect every part of the person's life. According to the authors of Surviving an Eating Disorder, "feelings about work, school, relationships, day-to-day activities and one's experience of emotional well being are determined by what has or has not been eaten or by a number on a scale." Anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa are the most common eating disorders generally recognized by medical classification schemes, with a significant diagnostic overlap between the two. Together, they affect an estimated 5-7% of females in the United States during their lifetimes. There is a third type of eating disorder currently being investigated and defined - Binge Eating Disorder. This is a chronic condition that occurs when an individual consumes huge amounts of food during a brief period of time and feels totally out of control and unable to stop their eating. It can lead to serious health conditions such as morbid obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

To All The Givers of Grace

To all donors of grace, you helped me be human again, loved me when I felt unloveable and continue to love me in good days and bad.

It is difficult to live alone without best friends in the vicinity of no one to cry , Laugh, my joy. I fight for my true self to find what my God calls me to do with my life.

So I come to you, my friends, my family, my connection to reason. You can not be here in person, even if one so close to my heart and my mind. You are in my dreams. My dreams are comforting, consoling, often full of laughter, tears and a hug from those true value, my existence on this earth. Then I awake to a world of madness and constant struggle. Struggle to make ends meet, struggle to be heard, can fight for strong and determined to live my life as I am called to.

Those without eating disorders, try to understand, they work hard, and they do a best.When people tell me how I look good I am at the end of the period before the mirror asks me whether they truth.

It is not the same as turning around their faces, ready to hold my hand when I fear that the "perfect" embrace, and the perfect smile. So you have there, if I want to run, and you allow me to turn right into the arms, and even if I "feel" as if I should be "done" and that I am "fine" They remind me that I " Man ".

I try so hard to be strong, strong in faith, spirit, leadership and motivation. A few times I can not and I am afraid to say that I know best. I fear that the division of the darkest words of my soul will disappear from my life forever.

I can not do this alone, and I realize. Once a woman ready to wipe this cunning, and powerful mystery illness, I am sitting here after eating too much and then eat and purge like, although I do not. Seeing the scale I "feel" as if it were actually "calling" My name. I fight the urge constantly.

Having the courage to aske the nurse to the doctors, if I really "need" to weigh and then with the other nurse ask me, "You're not going to get that disease where you start to lose and can not stop are you? "and respond with" I'm really recovered from that illness and that is why I do not like on the scale (backwards or even at all) "She later apologized and said They did not mean to insult me-it's just that they are so proud of me and all the hard work I have done. That made me "feel" good and then I started on all times I was not "good", which I'll slip and ED can get ahold of me.

I need your strength, your support, your love. I need you. On the days I wonder why I went through the pain of treatment and it really make a difference, I remember you. On the days when I feel as if everything is the same in my life, I remember you.

 

Mary Pat Nally -Founder/Facilitator -- Learn, Lead and Serve --Experiential Leadership Consulting LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE! Toll Free - 1-800-801-7132 learnleadandserve@yahoo.com http://www.authenticallyme.com Author of:Reflecting Grace: How one woman found life on a quest to outrun her eating disorder Available on Amazon.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Mary_Pat_Nally

No comments: